Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Arboretum at Penn State


If you are a nature person then the place to go on campus is the Penn State Arboretum! It is a beautiful space filled with flowers, plants, trees, ponds and even pieces of architecture. Each different species of plant life is labeled and you learn new things every time you go. This is a great place to relax, go for a stroll, and take some great pictures. While walking through the Arboretum, or sitting on the various benches and chairs that are provided, you can escape the outside world and just admire the nature around you!

Although I am not much of a nature person, I do love the Penn State Arboretum! The first time I visited the Arboretum there was a wedding that was taking place and this drew me in right away! I am into love stories and romantic things, and seeing this wedding here made me realize the true beauty it has to offer. After being here a few times, I always remember that one moment where I saw the wedding being set up and I always wonder what it would be like to get married there. Not only did this one event influence me to come back more then once, but also the fact that there is always something new and beautiful to expect.  Every time I go back I see something new that was added, and I enjoy this because it’s not the same thing over and over again. Another reason I love to visit the Arboretum is the feeling I get when I am there. Being there makes me forget about all the stress life brings me, and for a moment my busy life doesn’t feel so busy.  

 I always loved photography and taking photos here was a great way for me to get back into it! The colorful flowers and sunflower section was one of my favorite parts and I could go there many times and still feel the same way about it. My favorite subject to photograph is flowers and other parts of nature, and that’s exactly what the Arboretum provided for me. The bright colors of the sunflowers and all the great textures of the different flowers and stems were great subjects for my photos! The pond was also a great place for me to take my pictures because of the reflection and sense of stillness the water has. Not only do the lily pads and various flowers in the pond stand out in the photos, but also the reflection of the sky and clouds.

I would highly recommend a visit to the Arboretum to both nature lovers and non-nature lovers here on campus. I feel as if it is a place that should be visited at least once when living here on campus, because it is a great way to escape from the busy college life, and remind people of the beauty that this world has to offer! Even if you are not a nature-person, you might end up loving it just as much as I do! 




5 comments:

  1. The sunflowers and other bright, colorful flowers were my favorite part of the Gardens too! I loved taking pictures of the flowers, I may have even instagramed one or two. I love your picture of the sunflower and also agree that although I am not much of an outdoors kinda girl I enjoyed the Arboretum and would strongly recommend everyone to go and at least check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sunflowers! Glad you enjoyed!

    S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen! I love the picture of the sunflower! The bright colors of the flowers in the garden were my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pic of the sunflower. Makes me miss the Summer!!

    ReplyDelete